Thursday, May 8, 2014

drawing daily (a sort-of goal)

I caught this show on NPR this morning about surgeons getting just rusty enough to make noticeable mistakes after a few days off work. The study was based on the old adage: “If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.”

Also, a friend shared this article the other day, about putting away the camera phone and learning to draw:
"...because drawing can teach us to see: to notice properly rather than gaze absentmindedly. In the process of recreating with our own hand what lies before our eyes, we naturally move from a position of observing beauty in a loose way to one where we acquire a deep understanding of its parts." ~read more
I am working on various illustrations pretty much every day. But I've thought about setting a goal to incorporate pure drawing practice every day. For the fine-tuning of it. For the joy of getting immersed in details. So here, this morning I set the timer for an hour and just put pencil to paper (using photo reference, because I'm swooning over all the lovely layers of fabric.)
an hour of sketching © galen dara 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment