Monday, May 12, 2014

SFALing 2014 (NSFW)

Well, Spectrum Fantastic Art Live 3 was just the thing. No booth for me this time, I wanted the freedom to wander about about, absorbing the awesome. Which meant I came home with a lot more art this time (heheh, /WINCE). From right to left, top to bottom: Rebecca Yanovskaya, Garrett Johnson, Cynthia Sheppard, Annie Stegg (twice), Steve Argyle, Sara Richard (twice) and Wendy Martin:

SFAL 2014 art haul

Also I came home with sketchbooks from John Picacio and Bill Carmen (!!!) with WIP glimpses, notes and a little insight into all the crazy stuff that happens inside an aritst head. I'll be spending the next weeks swimming through those.


Speaking of.. here's some of what I sketched while inflight between Tucson and Kansas City:

sketchbooky pages, © galen dara 2014

Oh and late night life drawing happened, of course, (NSFW)


SFAL3 late night life drawing. © galen dara

It was just all incredibly... fantastic. Three more artists I have to make note of: Shelby Nichols with her lovely creepy darkness, Britt Snyder with his lush, buttery brush strokes, and Dan Chudzinski for his OMFG brain and bone-filled cabinet of curiosities.

One last thing: Chavant clay. Because they were handing out samples in the 3d area (where all the demo sculptors were making awesome with it). And I spent the whole flight home mushing and molding it. I need to get me some more of that.

making clay stuff on my airplane tray table. woooooo.

1 comment: